Firefighters set to tackle exploding propane bottles realized that they were actually facing cans of fermented herring reacting to a blaze at a fishing hut in northern Sweden. The 1,000 tins of surströmming contained one of the most putrid-smelling delicacies in the world.
Police reported that they heard explosions from within the hut, thinking at first that it was propane bottles, but later realizing it was fermenting herring cans. The surströmming was canned last year, which meant that the tins were filling with gases from the fermentation process, and were likely already bulging. The flames reacted with the gases and caused the explosions.