The seven Papal names used since 1798
1. Twelve Pope's using the name Pius
2. Thirteen Pope's using the name Leo
3. Sixteen Pope's using the name Gregory
4. Fifteen Pope's using the name Benedict (while Benedict XVI remains, but there will be only 14 once he changes his name)
5. Twenty One Pope's using the name John
6. Six Pope's using the name Paul
7. Two Pope's using the name John Paul
Now count them up name by name:
1. Pius 1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9+10+11+12 = 78
2. Leo 1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9+10+11+12+13 = 91
3. Gregory 1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9+10+11+12+13+14+15+16 = 136
4. Benedict 1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9+10+11+12+13+14 = 105
5. John 1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9+10+11+12+13+14+15+16+17+18+19+20+21 = 231
6. Paul 1+2+3+4+5+6 = 21
7. John Paul 1+2 = 3
78 + 91 + 136 + 105 + 231 + 21 + 3 = 665
as of John Paul II,
Meaning, the next pope will be a new papal name (which by definition has a count of 1), making a count of 1 + 665 = 666 man
However, Benedict XVI causes the count to run over 666 and, in fact, as of the writing of this paragraph (April 29, 2005), the count total of the seven Papal names used since 1798 is 680. Benedict XVI adds 15 to the count because they skipped Benedict X, so he is not the sixteenth pope in the Benedict series, but actually is the fifteenth pope in that series.
Does this mean the prophecy is wrong? No. How can that be when the count is over 666? The Bible tells us in the original Greek that the eighth comes out of the seven. He is not said to be a head or a mountain, and Greek experts say that the grammar precludes him being either a head or a mountain. Therefore, to be the eighth of a series, he must be the eighth king. The seven kings each have names that they are associated with, so the word "king" represents the names of these kings. The eighth king also has a name which the word "king" is associated with. The only logical conclusion then is that the eighth king will come out of the seven by starting out with a name from among the seven, and then changes names to a unique name never before used in Papal history. This name will reveal his true character in some way, for names are associated with character in the Bible. The count total of 680 will then work like this:
John Paul II adds 2 to the count total which then stands at 665.
Benedict XVI adds 15 to the count total which now equals 680.
Benedict XVI changes his papal name, so we subtract 15 from the count total. The count total then stands at 665.
Benedict XVI’s new name will be a new Papal name never before used in Papal history, this new name will add a count of 1 to the count total. Then 665 + 1 = 666.
Papal Name Count Added Count Total
John Paul II 2 663 + 2 = 665
Benedict XVI 15 665 + 15 = 680
Subtract for removing Benedict XVI name -15 680 - 15 = 665
Add 1 for a new Papal name 1 665 + 1 = 666
And it's the 2nd beast of Revelation 13 that causes all to take the mark; not the antichrist, as prophecy movies portray.
Yeah, this pope is going to cause a lot of problems for Protestants.