Pyongyang has cut a key communication hotline with South Korea, Seoul's unification ministry said Monday. The tensions between the neighbors have once again flared after the UN adopted a fresh round of tough sanctions against North Korea.
The news reported by South Korean Yonhap news agency comes after the communist state said last week it was ending all non-aggression pacts with South Korea and threatened to sever the communication line that runs through the truce village of Panmunjom.
According to the unification ministry, attempts to contact the North by telephone at 9 a.m. failed.
On Sunday Pyongyang threatened all-out nuclear war with the US and South Korea as the two countries are conducting joint military drills.
"Our front-line military groups, the army, the navy and the air force, the anti-aircraft units and the strategic rocket units, who have entered the final all-out war stage, are awaiting the final order to strike," Yonhap reported, quoting North Korean media.
The resolution passed by the UN Security Council on Friday is the fifth of its kind since 2006, when the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) conducted its first nuclear test. Adopted in response to the third detonation of a nuclear device by North Korea, it aims to tighten financial restrictions and cargo inspections against Pyongyang.