#Login Register


  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Home 


DO NOT STAY IN BEST WESTERN HOTOL ROOM 225 IN BOONE NC YOU MAY DIE......
06-12-2013, 06:21 AM #1
The Ghost Of ULP Member
Posts:439 Threads:212 Joined:Dec 2012
A trio of deaths at a hotel in Boone, N.C., two by carbon monoxide and one by asphyxia, could have travelers wondering if they should be concerned about running out of oxygen on their next vacation.

“Travelers should be concerned,” said Ted Panagiotopoulos, owner of Fire & Life Safety Concepts LLC, in Wilton, Conn. “Anywhere there are fuel-fired appliances being used where you have the potential for carbon monoxide to build up, you should have CO detection.”

The issue has taken on tragic significance in light of the death of Jeffrey Williams, an 11-year-old boy who died while staying at the Best Western Blue Ridge Plaza in Boone, N.C. According to NBC Charlotte, the local health department has determined that carbon monoxide was present in the room and that Williams died of asphyxiation.

According to the Charlotte News & Observer, the second-floor room is directly above a room that houses the natural-gas heater for the hotel pool.

A March 6th inspection of the pool by the Appalachian District Health Department found several violations. According to the inspection report, the "chemical/equipment room is required to have natural cross ventilation or forced air ventilation. This needs to be corrected asap."

However the Health Department issued a statement today stating that, "The violation noted relates to ventilation of equipment rooms to provide worker safety only for handling pool chemicals in a semi-confined space. Ventilation of any combustion gases from appliances is not part of the health department pool inspection."

This isn't the first time this death by asphyxiation happened in this same room, in this same hotel. Newly obtained blood tests show that Daryl Jenkins, 73, and Shirley Jenkins, 72, of Longview, Wash., died in room 225 at the Best Western in April from asphyxia caused by CO poisoning, Boone police Sgt. Shane Robbins said at a news conference Monday.

The hotel continued to rent out room 225 after the Jenkins deaths and before their blood tests results had been received.

“It is simply inconceivable that the hotel would choose to rent the same room to others while toxicology results were pending related to the deaths of Daryl and Shirley,” said Mark Brumbaugh, the Jenkins' attorney, in a statement. “It is our hope that the hotel will fully cooperate with the investigation into these events to avoid any similar tragedies in the future.”

Best Western International referred calls to the independently owned and operated hotel's attorney, who could not be reached for comment.

Known as the “silent killer,” carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas found in combustion fumes that can build up in enclosed or semi-enclosed spaces. Common symptoms include headache, dizziness, nausea, vomiting and confusion. People who are sleeping can die from CO poisoning before experiencing any symptoms.

About 400 Americans die each year from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

For travelers, the incidents in Boone underscore that while CO detectors are required in all new homes in 27 states, North Carolina among them, few states require hotels to install them. Fire alarms are required in a hotels. According to Panagiotopoulos, some hotel companies are getting proactive and installing carbon monoxide detectors, but they remain the exception rather than the rule.

Nevertheless, CO-related incidents remain so rare that they’re not necessarily foreseeable, says Peter Tomaras of Apollo Hotel Consultancy.

“Hotels have a legal duty to take all reasonable steps to eliminate hazards and protect their guests, but an unexpected hazard is not foreseeable,” Tomaras told NBC News. “Carbon monoxide poisoning is as rare as Legionnaires’ Disease — probably even more rare.”

Rarity aside, Panagiotopoulos still advises travelers to take adequate precautions as long as carbon monoxide alarms aren’t required equipment.

“Always have some ventilation; open a window if you can,” he told NBC News. “With the exception of carrying your own CO alarm — which isn’t the worst idea in the world — there’s not much else you can do.”

http://www.nbcnews.com/travel/hotel-room...6C10282724
06-12-2013, 01:55 PM #2
Octo Mother Superior
Posts:41,419 Threads:1,545 Joined:Feb 2011
CO poisoning. Just as I thought.

yup.gif
06-12-2013, 03:11 PM #3
Octo Mother Superior
Posts:41,419 Threads:1,545 Joined:Feb 2011



Home 




 



DISCLAIMER / Terms of Service (TOS):
Kritterbox.com - Socialize anonymously, commentary, discussion, oddities, technology, music and more!  This website is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied. kritterbox.com shall not be liable for any damages whatsoever, including, without limitation, those resulting from loss of use, data or profits, whether or not advised of the possibility of damage, and on any theory of liability, arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of this site or other documents which are referenced by or linked to this site.
This website exists solely for the purposes of exchange of information, communication and general entertainment. Opinions from posters are in no way endorsed by kritterbox.com. All posts on this website are the opinion of the authors and are not to be taken as statements of fact on behalf of kritterbox.com. This site may contain coarse language or other material that kritterbox.com is in no way responsible for. Material deemed to be offensive or pornographic at the discretion of kritterbox.com shall be removed. kritterbox.com reserves the right to modify, or remove posts and user accounts on this website at our discretion. kritterbox.com disclaims all liability for damages incurred directly or indirectly as a result of any material on this website. Fictitious posts and any similarity to any person living or dead is coincidental.
All users shall limit the insertion of any and all copyrighted material to portions of the article that are relevant to the point being made, with no more than 50%, and preferably less of the original source material. A link shall be visible in text format, embedded directly to the original source material without exception.
No third party links, i.e. blogs or forums will be accepted under any circumstances, and will be edited by staff in order to reflect the original source of copyrighted material, or be removed at the sole discretion of kritterbox.com.
Fair Use Notice:
This site may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. Users may make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of issues relating to economics, individual rights, international affairs, liberty, science, and technology. This constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C.Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for educational and/or research purposes.
This Disclaimer is subject to change at any time at our discretion.
Copyright © 2011 - 2017 kritterbox.com