An American Indian belief system:
) They have a creation story - the Eagle created man from clay and woman from a feather and then breathed life into them by flapping his wings over them.
2) They had something known as the "life way", which they studied and observed and tried to live in harmony with.
3) They speak of the "Great Mystery" which seems to involve the Mystery of why they were created and the mystery of their place in the Universe. They didn't seem to focus on questions like., where is the Earth, what is the Sun, what are the Stars. Rather they observed these celestial bodies and familiarized themselves with their movements as though they were lucky audience of a celestial play or display of nature.
4) Spirits were in everything and everywhere and were to be honored, listened to, observed and counseled. They speak of things like the "Spirit of the Deer", the Spirit of the Eagle. So, when they hunted and slay a Deer, they honored its spirit and in eating its meat in took something of that Spirit.
5) Earth is "Mother" of Mankind.
6) The Great Spirit is Creator.
7) Each animal and man as well participated in and possessed a "Spirit Vibration" which, when conformed to the 4 Directions, (North, South, East and West) could be tuned in and up to various power attributes of the directions.
Maybe we too are just a lucky audience...for now.