After a coup in 1974 Portugal became unstable and flooded with drugs.
Quote: By 1999, a full 1% of the population was actively addicted to heroin, and the country had the highest rate of drug-related AIDS deaths in the EU.
Shifting drug use from a criminal to a public-health problem was a bid to reverse that trend.
There were the results:
Quote:1. Drug-related HIV infections have plummeted by over 90% since 2001, according to the drug-policy think tank Transform.
2. Drug-related deaths in Portugal are the second-lowest in the European Union. Just three in a million people die of overdoses there, compared with the EU average of 17.3 per million.
3. The number of adults who have done drugs in the past year has decreased steadily since 2001.
4. Compared to rest of the EU, young people in Portugal now use the least amount of "legal high" drugs like synthetic marijuana, which are especially dangerous.
5. The percentage of drug-related offenders in Portuguese prisons fell from 44% in 1999 to 21% in 2012.
6. The number of people in drug-treatment increased 60% from 1998 to 2011 from 23,600 to 38,000.
FUUUUCK THAT shït! Lock their asses up!
Politicians hide themselves away
They only started the war
Why should they go out to fight?
They leave that role to poor