kritterbox.com

A Few Years Back, I...

Notifications
Clear all

A Few Years Back, I Sat Speaking To An Actor...

Page 1 / 2
Boomerang
(@boomerang)
Reputable Member

*Thinking out loud kind of thread*

He lived opposite to where my old man lived, We became friends, so much so I did the music in the church for his funeral.

Anyway one day sitting in his conservatory he asked me if I'd ever seen any of his films.

I told him that I never watched films as a kid, because it annoyed me that they had to have some bad person in them, something really kind of evil which normally come off worse, but everything I tried to watch I would turn off the moment it started tipping into the darkness!

So, with that he gave me a handful of his films and other memorbilia, all of which I chucked in a skip on the way home. 

Kind of feel bad about it now lol

This was the chap

Topic starter Posted : 30/03/2023 6:57 pm
White Ribbon
(@white-ribbon)
Honorable Member

He was Mary Poppins?

Blonde

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/03/2023 9:51 pm
Boomerang
(@boomerang)
Reputable Member

@white-ribbon 

Not quite, he was the one singing that annoying kite song!

Though I've still not seen the film, this piece of music was played during his funeral service, and I didn't like it much when I heard it, I grew up playing with power kites 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 31/03/2023 1:07 am
White Ribbon
(@white-ribbon)
Honorable Member

I’m sure he was a sweet man. Sorry he has passed. 

you need to watch his films though. Especially after binning them.

Blonde

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/03/2023 8:43 am
Boomerang liked
Boomerang
(@boomerang)
Reputable Member

The thing is though, I told him why I never watched those films, I also told him how parents at an early age had no right to make decisions on what they thought there kids should watch, I was talking about my own experience with my own parents. 
I mean they could of put on things about the planet, things like David Attenborough  telling you about the planet etc. 

This was my point, people just show you whatever they think fit and then wonder why there kids are suffer from all kinds of issues at bedtime. And here is the other thing, he had 4 boys, one of which was severely autistic, he couldn't talk  or construct words, his mum noticed something was wrong with him when he was born because he would just sit in a pram and look at the sky, anybody ever tried to talk to him and they got no reaction. Yet as he grew up he had a gift with wood where he could make anything, he even made 4 wooden horse cart wheels with spokes by hand, and they were all the same size exactly. 
I don't know perhaps I'm autistic, cuz Will and I got on well, he would come up to be each day and smile, I'd take him down the builders merchant to get off cuts of wood, and I'd also pick him up when he came to stay every 4 weeks because he is in a special school the other end of the country.

Yet he had no anxiety issues, no sadness, no brainwashing of any sort from anybody in fact, all from birth. And he just use to smile at me, and I'd smile back without looking at him. I'm kind of guessing if none of us had been taught a language, this is how we'd all be. A strange kind of calm where skill sets still ooze out. without any fear because you've never been taught it.

The other 3 sons were ok, but you could see the obvious difference between calm and not calm (if that makes sense)
I never smiled at them lol  
ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 31/03/2023 12:19 pm
Boomerang
(@boomerang)
Reputable Member

I guess I'm spending time at the moment trying to get my head around fear.

I understand it, many a night as a kid I convinced myself that the thing under my bed was going to come out and eat me alive, I'd lay nervously for a few minutes till I thought well what's the worse that could happen, it could come out and eat me, but then I'd think, 'well I was dead before I was born and I can't remember that being bad' and these types of thoughts just kept following that pattern, and that's how I never watched the films. 

What with other physical beatings from 3 years old and up from the old man, you'd of thought I'd of learnt to go with the BS somewhere along the track!

Some days me and Mr T would for go out for a drive, it would be to mainly bric a brac shops we'd visit. I always had to drive, and as much as I pointed out this made me look like he's chauffeur, he would then try and tell me to slow down and drive his 1964 Rolls Royce thing, given to him by Walt Disney at a slower speed, and would I stop deliberately driving over pot holes. 

I'd say, 'don't like it then you drive this thing', though he never drove and just complained, sternly.

When we got to these junk shop places, he did browse through different things, but he was always staring at people with a look of anger on his face. 

One day driving home he said out of the blue, 'everybody is an actor' I said of course they are cuz they're all programmed from birth to act. Everything you're shown, everything you're told, and everything you're fed is not your choice. 

'And that's why I never watched your poxy films', lol

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 01/04/2023 12:05 pm
Octo
 Octo
(@octo)
Member Admin

That's an interesting point of view regarding films. Thanks for sharing your story and sorry for the loss of your friend. I would watch those movies because I love movies and went to school to learn about such.

It is an interesting thought experiment, a film without adversaries, or "evil". It is in fact an integral part of dramatic composition. Watching a movie without an antagonist would be very boring I think. It's always the "evil" that drives the story forward in fiction, forcing the good to overcome some obstacle, be it the devil, some monster, insecurity or bullies.

In real life they use climate change as the monster.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/04/2023 1:15 pm
Boomerang liked
Boomerang
(@boomerang)
Reputable Member

Thanks @Octo 

It's a tricky one so bear with me, my word vocabulary is quite vast, yet I have this bad habit of putting the words together in a way that makes them blurry on a page.

I'm only talking from my own perspective, the TV was on when I was a kid, but I was happiest staring at the white noise 

For some strange reason my first words are on tape, in those days it was a recorder which spun 2 wheels, exactly like this

My first words are understandable to me, to others they make the right sound for two words, 'bloody and bugger'

These 2 words are from an old TV show, a TV show that would just be left playing because nobody seemed to think it would do any harm. I don't know what the show was called because I couldn't read, but the music went on to become imprinted in my brain and later I learnt it was called Z cars. Z-Cars - Wikipedia

I guess I developed these 2 words into making more sense as time went on, must of been rather embarrassing when I was dragged off to church every Sunday piping up my new vocabulary, makes the beatings easier to understand for myself from that point onwards.

This has always been my problem, I was fed information about something that adults thought was correct, then I watched them double guess everything as time went by and intermittently fall apart. What kind of a shitshow is that.

Sure, I could have an opinion, but is it worth having an opinion when people try to beat it out of you, or just stay away from you because they just can't understand where you're coming from. It will come at cost, and it has come at cost, right back from then, to right now. But I'm still the same, nothing has changed one bit, hence my 'chit chat' thread . 

One thing and off topic, regarding your message above about loving films and going to school to study them.

One day whilst drinking coffee and being forced to watch one of his old black and white films with Mr T, I asked him how do learn the part you've been asked to play?

He told me this

In a film called the love bug, he played the part of a car salesman.

One year before the film even began production, he went around garages appearing as a customer wanting to buy a car, he focused on one garage he found near Chesham, around 20 miles away from here.

The salesman there had the way about him that Mr T based the character on, he said he simply just  spent time with him, and copied his ways daily until he temporarily believed he was him, then just walked in front of a camera and played that part, he never felt nervous because it wasn't him. 

He did struggle with this though, and he made a big deal about it before he went. I don't know why he bothered going, but he did!

3:32 - 3:33 timeline says it all if you listen

I wouldn't say we became friends as such, we were just curious of each other, he was used to people bowing at his feat, I stopped going into junks shops because I found it extremely uncomfortable! 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 01/04/2023 2:56 pm
Octo liked
Octo
 Octo
(@octo)
Member Admin

I should not have said that I love movies, I enjoy good ones, but most movies are boring and predictable and make me fall asleep Anonymous  

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/04/2023 3:23 pm
Boomerang liked
Boomerang
(@boomerang)
Reputable Member

@octo 

The only film I've ever watched all the way through and actually paid attention to was 'The Imitation Game' 

the imitation
ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 01/04/2023 5:43 pm
Octo
 Octo
(@octo)
Member Admin

I've not seen it. I have to put it on my watch list

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/04/2023 9:55 pm
Boomerang liked
Boomerang
(@boomerang)
Reputable Member

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 01/04/2023 11:32 pm
Octo
 Octo
(@octo)
Member Admin

I read an article in the local news this morning about Highly Sensitive Persons (HSP) and I recognize myself in those symptoms damned  

I read more about it and came to think of you too...

Avoiding violent movies or TV shows because they feel too intense and leave you feeling unsettled

https://www.verywellmind.com/highly-sensitive-persons-traits-that-create-more-stress-4126393

Maybe we are the HSP social club damned  

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/04/2023 1:37 pm
Boomerang
(@boomerang)
Reputable Member

You could be right @octo

I just put your theory to Alice and she nodded her head!

Though always a slight chance she has it as well cuz she's a Highly Sensitive Pug 

😎

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 02/04/2023 5:50 pm
Octo liked
White Ribbon
(@white-ribbon)
Honorable Member

We grew up watching horror films, like Evil Dead and a nightmare on elm street.. fun stuff. Chuckle  

don’t fall asleep or Freddy will get you. damned  

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/04/2023 11:19 pm
Page 1 / 2

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Preview 0 Revisions Saved
Share: