Finland cleared to ...

Notifications
Clear all

Finland cleared to join NATO

Octo
 Octo
(@octo)
Member Admin

The final formalities include an invitation to join from Nato's Secretary General, which is to be signed in Washington, most likely by Foreign Minister Pekka Haavisto (Green).

https://yle.fi/a/74-20025375

Buckle up folks, things might get bumpy... damned  

I have no idea what's going to happen, but Russia is not amused.

Finland has already started building a border fence as we're sharing a 1,340 km (830 mi) long border with Russia. Not many illegal border crossings here, a handful per year last I heard, the country is wild and woolly out there and there aren't many roads crossing the border.

Russia has moved a bunch of troops off the Finnish border to Ukraine so they shouldn't be planning anything stupid.

This is a historic moment in Finland's history and I can't say I'm not a little bit anxious about the future right now.

Topic starter Posted : 01/04/2023 1:40 pm
White Ribbon
(@white-ribbon)
Honorable Member

Doesn’t it make Finland seem safer from a Russian invasion?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/04/2023 11:16 pm
Boomerang
(@boomerang)
Reputable Member

I don't know if anybody remembers the end of the 1970's and adverts appearing on TV about nuclear war?

They seemed to broadcast these after kids TV had finished and before the news. I knew this because I was obsessed with the cartoon  Mr Benn (who I now realise was actually no more than a shoplifter, because he never paid the shopkeeper for any of those costumes he tried on in that changing room)

Sorry gone off topic, an advert like below and often shortened would play out, they saved the long version for the adults later in the evening

I remember being around 10 years old and building a Nuclear Fallout Shelter under my bed, it was lined with cardboard boxes and only just enough room for me and the dog (A rather large Black Labrador) He would move the boxes and I had to keep propping them back up in place. 

But we were safe, everybody else in the house wasn't, my sisters and parents was going to burn and melt outside of my shelter, but me and the dog would be ok.

And though I think back now at how stupid I actually was back then, (I mean I could of used sticky tape to of kept them boxes together) the adverts stopped playing, and Nuclear War kind of faded from the forefront.

Recently it's back in the front line, with no adverts yet, but if anybody is worried, I can send you the instructions to my fallout shelter...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/04/2023 2:34 pm
Octo liked
Octo
 Octo
(@octo)
Member Admin
Posted by: @white-ribbon

Doesn’t it make Finland seem safer from a Russian invasion?

Russia doesn't have any resources to invade Finland at the moment. And they should know better than to try again. Finland never stopped spending on defense and preparedness with miltary conscription, making the army fairly large. We also have a separate deal with airforce of Sweden, Norway and Denmark combining forces if shit hits the fan.

I'm concerned about possible placement of nuclear missiles and that sort on this land, I don't like that possibility.

Oh and tomorrow btw Finland will join nato

damned

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 03/04/2023 9:15 pm
Octo
 Octo
(@octo)
Member Admin
Posted by: @boomerang

Recently it's back in the front line, with no adverts yet, but if anybody is worried, I can send you the instructions to my fallout shelter...

Yeah that would be cool Giggle  

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 03/04/2023 9:21 pm
Boomerang liked

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Preview 0 Revisions Saved
Share: