kritterbox.com

Food and other good...

Notifications
Clear all

Food and other goods getting expensive. Tesco boss says "the worst to come for food price rises"

Page 1 / 2
strigoi
(@strigoi)
Member Admin

[blockquote]The chairman of Britain's biggest supermarket has warned "the worst is yet to come" on rising food prices.

Tesco's John Allan told the BBC he was aware people were on very tight budgets and having to choose between food and heating "troubles us".

But he said grocers and suppliers were not immune from rising energy costs.

Mr Allan also defended Tesco against claims from food poverty activist Jack Monroe that the costs of basic staples were rising faster than other goods.

He estimated supermarket prices could rise as much as 5% by the spring as energy and other costs feed through to the High Street, adding that Tesco's food price inflation in the last three months had been contained to about 1%.

"We are impacted by rising energy prices, our suppliers are impacted by rising energy prices. So the likelihood is that that inflation figure will rise," he said.

Mr Allan said he recognised the cost of food took up a bigger proportion of household budgets for people on lower incomes.

People having to choose between heating their homes and feeding their families "troubles us, and I'm sure troubles many people... That's clearly not a situation that any of us should tolerate," he said.

A report earlier this month from the British Retail Consortium said food inflation accelerated to 2.7% in January, up from 2.4% in December. [/blockquote]

more - https://www.bbc.com/news/business-60279019

Prices have increased here. What used to be about a hundred Euros is now costing close to one hundred twenty. Prices at both Profi and Lidl are noticeably higher on most everything I buy. I noticed the oxy laundry stuff is the same size plastic jar for more money with less in it. :/

Topic starter Posted : 09/02/2022 4:20 pm
kreeper
(@kreeper)
Member Admin

Things are going to get worse in March/April.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/02/2022 4:49 pm
Jay Rodney
(@jayrodney)
Member Admin

I went to buy a lighter last night.

It was €2,10 a couple weeks ago, it was €2,70 last night.

That's a whopping increase.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/02/2022 5:19 pm
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Is your decimal key broke JR? Chuckle

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/02/2022 2:27 am
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

I paid a few cents more for beer last weekend, but it's cheap at Lidl to begin with. Not complaining.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/02/2022 12:00 pm
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Everything going up here too. Money doesn't stretch as far as it did when orange man bad was in office.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/02/2022 2:23 pm
Jay Rodney
(@jayrodney)
Member Admin

Chuckle We haven't seen all that much inflation, but certain products do seem to be going up.

Coffee and that sucks.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/02/2022 3:37 pm
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

My government (Canada) will be reducing our electrical costs (evening only) soon to offset some inflationary costs and they are going to eliminate car stickers too (only $120 a year but every little bit helps). I have always been able to stretch a dollar especially when it comes to feeding a family. I also found a casual job with great pay because I like the social aspect of working plus the extra money comes in handy for taking art courses. I hope all governments find ways to offset inflation because they really shouldn't poke the beast.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/02/2022 6:18 pm
kreeper
(@kreeper)
Member Admin

I just picked up a 40 pound bag of pelletized pine bedding. we use it for cat littler. A month ago it was $5 and this morning it was $6.70. Everything has gone up.

"The U.S. Consumer Price Index (CPI) measuring inflation for American consumers rose 0.6 percent, more than then 0.4 percent increase that was predicted by economists who believed the CPI would moderate in the first month of 2022. Year over year, inflation spiked 7.5 percent — the biggest jump since the year E.T. was released in theaters, 1982."

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/spencerbrown/2022/02/10/inflation-hits-another-fourdecade-high-n2603109

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/02/2022 6:52 pm
Octo
 Octo
(@octo)
Member Admin

Coffee is up big time, but that's because of global warming Chuckle

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/02/2022 7:59 pm
uniquestranger
(@uniquestranger)
Honorable Member

I buy day old bread and older veggies, they are still good. Sometimes I will buy meat that is on sale too, the package has a sticker 'enjoy tonight'. A lot of money can be saved this way.

Power without abuse loses it's charm.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/02/2022 8:37 pm
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

I always go for ‘enjoy tonight’ route and those can be frozen. Most items from the grocery are good at least 48 hours after expiration.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/02/2022 1:21 am
uniquestranger
(@uniquestranger)
Honorable Member

There are also community food programs for seniors and younger people who's annual salary is within a certain level. A program in my community offers a bag of veggies ($25 cost in stores) for $10 and a bag of fruit ($15 in stores) for $5 once a month, also free dental, free tax preparation, and drug co-pay., etc. if you qualify Check around your community for help if you need it.

Power without abuse loses it's charm.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/02/2022 6:30 pm
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

I'm spending around $200 a month more on everything since the new administration took over. Sucks.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/02/2022 5:01 pm
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

more like 300 for us.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/02/2022 6:52 pm
Page 1 / 2

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email