kritterbox.com

Good News? Meta Thr...

Notifications
Clear all

Good News? Meta Threatens To Pull Facebook and Instagram From Europe If It Can't Target Ads

Jay Rodney
(@jayrodney)
Member Admin

[blockquote]Meta states in an SEC filing it is considering leaving Europe if it can no longer exchange data from European users with the United States, following the Schrems II decision.
The Schrems II ruling affects every American company, and not solely Facebook. It includes Google, Microsoft, and Amazon whose cloud services form the backbone of most of the Western World’s Internet. As such, the road to Schrems II will be a long and slow one as courts and industry navigate their way through the ramifications of the judgement.

Previously, Google Analytics and Google Fonts have been before the court where it was asserted that Google Fonts was sending personal data such as IP address to another service without permission, and without a clear and valid reason to do this.

While some fear Europe will alienate itself from the major cloud providers, and the Google Fonts ruling sets a precedent in cases where content is served from a content distribution network or CDN, there are other legal regimes in place that are approved to send EU data to the US. While Schrems II invalidates Privacy Shield, the legal protections afforded to Standard Contractual Clauses and Binding Corporate Rules continue to be in effect.

Nevertheless, Facebook is threatening it will simply pull out of Europe altogether if it is no longer able to share data about European users with its US operations, applications, and data centres. While the European Court of Justice states personal data is less well-protected in the US than in Europe, Facebook says stopping transatlantic data transfers will have a devastating impact on its targeted online advertisements capabilities.[/blockquote]

https://itwire.com/listed-tech/meta-threatens-to-pull-facebook-and-instagram-from-europe-if-it-can-t-target-ads.html

A feel good story. It's like a bad virus, it wont go away Chuckle

Topic starter Posted : 07/02/2022 8:38 am
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

If the EU backs down privacy is off the table. How many people will freak out if FB goes away. Who will blink first.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/02/2022 11:58 am
Octo
 Octo
(@octo)
Member Admin

Oh noes! No moar FB or Instagram? Mew mew mew...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/02/2022 6:05 pm
kreeper
(@kreeper)
Member Admin
ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/02/2022 6:10 pm
Jay Rodney
(@jayrodney)
Member Admin

That video was almost agonizing.

I made to the 2:23 mark.

[postquote quote=1466]

I bet FB stays somehow.

Without it kittens died and angels cried.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 07/02/2022 6:23 pm
kreeper
(@kreeper)
Member Admin

[postquote quote=1496]

It cracked me up that they kept picking up the receiver and hanging back up to reset between tries.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/02/2022 7:22 pm
strigoi
(@strigoi)
Member Admin

ancient technology

FaceB has seen it's share of woes

[blockquote]Facebook appeal over Cambridge Analytica data rejected by Australian court as ‘divorced from reality’

Full bench of the federal court confirms earlier ruling that tech giant collects personal information in Australia

Facebook has lost a major battle with the Australian regulator over the Cambridge Analytica scandal, after a court dismissed the social media giant’s claim that it neither conducts business nor collects personal information in the country.

The Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC) is suing Facebook, now Meta, for breaching the privacy of more than 300,000 Australian Facebook users in the Cambridge Analytica scandal, exposed more than four years ago by the Guardian.

A Facebook logo on a smartphone
Facebook claims it does not conduct business in Australia in Cambridge Analytica appeal
Read more

Throughout the 2010s, consulting firm Cambridge Analytica harvested the personal data of millions of Facebook users without their consent using a personality test app called This is Your Digital Life. The information was then used predominantly for political advertising, including to assist the Brexit campaign and Donald Trump.

Only 53 people in Australia installed the This is Your Digital Life app, according to court documents, but it was able to harvest the data of about 311,127 people.[/blockquote]

more - https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/feb/07/facebook-appeal-over-cambridge-analytica-data-rejected-by-australian-court-as-divorced-from-reality

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/02/2022 1:44 pm
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

FB is setup to harvest all your personal info and noting more.
If they can't do that you are worthless to their business model.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/02/2022 2:28 pm
Octo
 Octo
(@octo)
Member Admin

[postquote quote=1570]

That's pretty much it

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/02/2022 6:50 pm
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Meta Platforms' veiled threat to quit Europe because of blocked talks over privacy rules was more like music to the ears of two top German and French politicians. From a report:

[blockquote]"After being hacked I've lived without Facebook and Twitter for four years and life has been fantastic," German Economy Minister Robert Habeck told reporters at an event alongside French Finance Minister Bruno Le Maire in Paris on Monday. "I can confirm that life is very good without Facebook and that we would live very well without Facebook," Le Maire added. "Digital giants must understand that the European continent will resist and affirm its sovereignty." The pair were responding to comments in Meta's annual report published Thursday, warning that if it couldn't rely on new or existing agreements to shift data, then it would "likely be unable to offer a number of our most significant products and services, including Facebook and Instagram, in Europe."[/blockquote]
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-02-07/we-re-fine-without-facebook-german-and-french-ministers-say
They are serious about running them out of the EU. Or so it appears.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/02/2022 9:22 pm
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

See you later like button. I can live without it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/02/2022 9:26 pm
kreeper
(@kreeper)
Member Admin

Get rid of Failbook, Twitter, Instagram and TikTok and the rest and you would quickly see improvments in the overall mental health and mentality of the modern world.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/02/2022 9:57 pm
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/02/2022 2:46 am
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

From what I'm reading the EU doesn't care if FB goes away. It's probably past its prime.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/02/2022 3:01 am
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

I closed my account two years ago and never looked back.

I was spending two or more hours a day on what essentially amounts to giving up all kinds of personal information.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/02/2022 2:26 pm

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Preview 0 Revisions Saved
Share: