Notifications
Clear all

The most beautiful season

Page 2 / 4
White Ribbon
(@white-ribbon)
Honorable Member

Gorgeous nature pics.

all those wild animals are far more dangerous than living in Australia where all we have are a few snakes. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/06/2022 10:58 pm
-NIGHTMARE-
(@nightmare)
Reputable Member

octo..you missed my point

the wolves were around before humans came around

also..since you are in a town it's unlikely to have a wolf problem except perhaps the very rare occasion

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/06/2022 11:03 pm
-NIGHTMARE-
(@nightmare)
Reputable Member

@white-ribbon 

lol..

you can keep australia ..too many deadly bugs snakes crocks sharks kangaroos for my taste

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/06/2022 11:36 pm
Octo
 Octo
(@octo)
Member Admin
Posted by: @nightmare

also..since you are in a town it's unlikely to have a wolf problem except perhaps the very rare occasion

Actually no, we're in a post glacial rebound zone so this land used to be under water. And it's rising faster than anywhere in the world

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 04/06/2022 11:41 pm
Octo
 Octo
(@octo)
Member Admin
Posted by: @white-ribbon

Gorgeous nature pics.

all those wild animals are far more dangerous than living in Australia where all we have are a few snakes. 

These animals stay in the woods, they don't make a nest in your slippers or under your sheets.

I've never seen any of those animals in the wild except for a lynx once and that was amazing.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 04/06/2022 11:47 pm
White Ribbon
(@white-ribbon)
Honorable Member

@white-ribbon 

lol..

you can keep australia ..too many deadly bugs snakes crocks sharks kangaroos for my taste

Lies. It’s super safe here.. 

Elvis

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/06/2022 11:56 pm
Octo
 Octo
(@octo)
Member Admin
Posted by: @octo

Actually no, we're in a post glacial rebound zone so this land used to be under water. And it's rising faster than anywhere in the world

Meaning it's been farmland since day 1. Sure there were wolves, but humans were here too

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 05/06/2022 12:00 am
-NIGHTMARE-
(@nightmare)
Reputable Member

@octo 

here's an interesting twist:

Disappeared and came back

The wolf came to Norway when the ice retreated about 12,000 years ago. But it disappeared from the Norwegian landscape, and probably from Sweden, by about 1970. High hunting pressure and conflicts with agriculture in particular contributed to the animals' decline.

But apparently the species re-established itself around 1980. Today more than 400 wolves roam the border area between Norway and Sweden. They are regarded as a shared population.

"The wolves in Norway and Sweden today most likely come from wolves that migrated from Finland," says Professor Stenøien.

Where in Finland they came from is not entirely certain, but they nevertheless appear to be Finnish.

https://phys.org/news/2021-12-norwegian-wolf-extinct.html

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/06/2022 12:41 am
Octo
 Octo
(@octo)
Member Admin

"The wolves in Norway and Sweden today most likely come from wolves that migrated from Finland," says Professor Stenøien.

Where in Finland they came from is not entirely certain, but they nevertheless appear to be Finnish.

That doesn't sound very scientific. "Where in Finland they came from is not entirely certain, but they appear to be Finnish"?? . I'm pretty sure wolves don't read maps and give zero fucks crossing that 1,340 km long Russian border

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 05/06/2022 1:30 am
dajavoo liked
-NIGHTMARE-
(@nightmare)
Reputable Member

@octo 

from link:

"We've carried out the largest genetic study of wolves in the world," says Stenøien.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/06/2022 2:25 am
-NIGHTMARE-
(@nightmare)
Reputable Member

i've had big cougar tracks not too far away

cougars make me nervous

here's an example of the size of their paws

there was also two fighting not long ago near here seen by a hunter & whom took pics of that,then got the hell outta there heh

(i saw the pics)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/06/2022 2:47 am
gumby
(@gumby)

spring sprang back at the end of march here. now its just crazy hot

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/06/2022 12:34 pm
Octo
 Octo
(@octo)
Member Admin

We had a biting cold spring, icy cold winds and dry! Then we got some rain and warmth and nature literally explodes in colors overnight. The nights are bright and birds party around the clock.

It was June 10 when JR arrived here in Finland

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 05/06/2022 6:00 pm
-NIGHTMARE-
(@nightmare)
Reputable Member

JR must have liked what he saw then..

here spring finally sprang very end of may

so leaves have just come out & some wildflowers starting to show

temps ranging 60'sF/40'sF right now 

we get alot of bird migration here each spring & birdsong

which is always something to look forward to after our long cold hard winters

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/06/2022 7:23 pm
Octo
 Octo
(@octo)
Member Admin

Today I was a bit sad while walking, I didn't want to snap any pics.

But then we walked on a path across the river and these trees are one of my favorite. It's a type of willow native to Finland,

Salix Fragilis Bullata, I guess it could translate to 'ball willow'. I wanted to share it with you so I snapped a few.

This is what they look like from across the river. The foliage is super dense...

On the outside.

june5 6

This is those same trees when you're under them

june5 2

june5 1

Super dramatic trees

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 05/06/2022 8:11 pm
Boomerang liked
Page 2 / 4

Leave a reply

Author Name