kritterbox.com

Your brain lives 15...

Notifications
Clear all

Your brain lives 15 seconds ‘in the past’ to help you see the world with stability

strigoi
(@strigoi)
Member Admin

[blockquote]People often accuse others of living in the past, but it turns out everyone is — by exactly 15 seconds!

Researchers from the University of California-Berkeley have discovered that the human brain shows you images from 15 seconds in the past, instead of trying to update your vision in real-time.

Just like a social media feed, the brain is constantly uploading new and rich visual stimuli. However, to keep everything that our eyes are taking in every second of every day in order, the study finds the brain actually presents us with an image from 15 seconds earlier.

The findings provide new insights into what scientists call the mind’s “continuity field,” a function of perception where the brain merges with what our eyes see to provide a sense of stability. Without it, study authors say the world would actually appear like a blurry jumble in your eyes.

“If our brains were always updating in real time, the world would be a jittery place with constant fluctuations in shadow, light and movement, and we’d feel like we were hallucinating all the time,” explains study senior author David Whitney, a UC Berkeley professor of psychology, neuroscience, and vision science, in a university release.

“Our brain is like a time machine. It keeps sending us back in time. It’s like we have an app that consolidates our visual input every 15 seconds into one impression so we can handle everyday life,” adds study lead author Mauro Manassi, an assistant professor of psychology at Scotland’s University of Aberdeen and former postdoctoral fellow in Whitney’s lab at UC Berkeley.

Our brains always return to an older image[/blockquote]

more - https://www.studyfinds.org/brain-lives-15-seconds-in-the-past/

When we are forced by circumstance do things in real time, for example catch a glass before it falls to the floor, this would mean our brains send that information forward in time? It's a bit much to contemplate.

Topic starter Posted : 02/02/2022 5:38 pm
kreeper
(@kreeper)
Member Admin

I feel the need to point out that the study was conducted in California. Perhaps they should try the study in a different state where people aren't so slow.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/02/2022 6:07 pm
Jay Rodney
(@jayrodney)
Member Admin

[postquote quote=1052]

Chuckle I already responded to this thread 15 seconds in the future.
Consciousness is a fascinating topic. The User Illusion is a great book that deals with it and it's astounding.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/02/2022 7:38 pm
kreeper
(@kreeper)
Member Admin

Even if that study is ridiculous (Not saying it is.) the truth is that what we are seeing is actually a tiny bit behind real time due to the time it takes light to travel. I have hear a hypothesis that we are actually not the "real" being that we are some kind of echo or something existing a moment after reality. I'm not swallowing that one.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/02/2022 8:45 pm
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Mind bending article and topic +100

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/02/2022 2:41 am
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Do a search for Benjamin Libet. This has been known for quite a few years.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/02/2022 2:31 pm
Octo
 Octo
(@octo)
Member Admin

[postquote quote=1364]

I was going to say just that.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/02/2022 3:51 pm

Leave a reply

Author Name